Discover & Join
How to join the Fork Lift Truck Association
Membership of the Fork Lift Truck Association provides your business with:-
- A cost-effective way to stay up-to-date on the latest developments in the materials handling industry
- Access to the most authoritative and definitive FLT Health and Safety information, best practice advice and Codes of Practice
- Stay in the loop on legislative changes that affect you, your workplace practices and your staff
- Join a network of the most respected and trusted companies in the FLT industry
- Insider knowledge, publicity and free, in-depth resources designed to help you work safer, faster and smarter
If you think your business could be improved by having constant access to any of the above, join the FLTA and get all of this, and much more! For a full list of the exclusive benefits and resources your business could take advantage of as a Member of the FLTA, please click here.
The Association offers a range of different membership categories designed to meet the needs and priorities of all businesses that employ fork lift trucks. Here is a very brief guide to the membership categories currently available.
Fork lift truck dealers, maintenance and service providers, training companies and suppliers who have a well established company in the fork lift truck industry should consider Full Membership. Full Members are placed in either the manufacturers, suppliers and services category, or the dealers and trainers category, depending on the primary function and size of the organisation.
All Full Member applicants must meet the following basic standards before their application will be considered:
- The company must have been in business for a minimum of two years
- Company turnover should be least £500,000 per annum
- The Balance Sheet Total/Shareholders Fund should be at least £35,000
- The company must have public liability insurance of at least £5,000,000
- For the dealer category the firm must employ a minimum of three engineers
Service providers to the fork lift truck industry who have been in business for more than two years should consider Full Membership. As should larger, well established training companies.
For a full list of the wide range of benefits that FLTA Members enjoy, please visit the benefits page as a starting point.
Provisional membership is for those companies that do not currently fulfil the requirements for Full Membership, but are working towards meeting those requirements with the aim of becoming a Full Member in time:
- If a company knows that it does not meet all of the criteria for Full Membership, but is working towards it, the company can apply for Provisional Membership.
- A company that has applied for Full Membership but is deemed by the Board to have not met all the required standards may be offered Provisional Membership. If this is accepted, the company will be advised of any measures that need to be taken.
Associate Membership is open to those companies that do not meet the standard requirements described above, and are unlikely to do so in the shorter term. For example, fork lift truck dealers and maintenance providers with only one or two engineers should consider Associate Membership.
There are two types of Associate Member:
- Associate Members that are fork lift truck dealers or maintenance companies and do not meet the standard requirements
- Associate Members that are new suppliers or service providers that have not been in business for the required minimum period of two years
End users of fork lift trucks or companies whose operations feature fork lift trucks on their site(s) would be well-advised to consider joining the FLTA Safe User Group, a special form of membership designed specifically for end users.
In addition, as a trade association, the FLTA has worked in conjunction with the Trade Association Forum to produce a new national Code of Practice for trade associations, which sets out the ethical and procedural standards that govern all UK trade associations. This Code of Practice can be downloaded here.
If you wish to join the FLTA but are not sure of your options or which Membership category would suit your organisation best, please do not hesitate to telephone the FLTA office to discuss your needs on 01635 277577.